Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Motherhood is not for the faint of heart.

Yesterday Ro and I were sitting on the floor in Target. We were rummaging through the little boys clothing department. I asked for his opinion as I showed him a few different pairs of pants and shirts. He would then reply with,"Cute." "Not cute." "Not cute." "Cute." "Not cute." "Not cute."

Mostly his answer was, "Not cute."
He says the funniest things sometimes!

As this conversation was happening a mother and daughter walked by and overheard us talking. They laughed! The mother asked how old my son was. I informed her that he was about to turn two next week. She said, "Get ready for a hard year." I wish I would have  replied with something like, "That's ok, I'm up for the challenge!" Or "It may be tough, but at least I know I won't be bored!" But I didn't. 

The truth is, motherhood is hard. 

Why are some moments so sweet, and so easy to be happy? Then these other moments happen that make you want to throw your hands in the air, pull a blanket over your head, curl up in a ball, and just cry?
The simple, short answer is, because that is the way life has to be. That is the whole point.
Our Savior taught us, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28) Things that are hard remind us that we are weak. Things that are hard remind us how much we need our Savior. Our challenge then, is to Come to Him. 
He will give us the strength to do hard things. 
He will help us find happiness, even when our kids are a mess. 
He will make us better mothers than we could ever be on our own.

So. I've got a hard year a head of me. A year full of tantrums and soggy diapers. A year of teaching  not-to-hit and color-only-on-paper. A year full of messy house and piles of laundry. I am ready. I am ready for the curl up in a ball, and just cry moments. I am ready to take on the runny noses and stinky feet. I am ready. I am ready, because I am not going into it alone. 


And, Oh! how I love being a mother.