Friday, July 8, 2011

Thinking In The Rain

I hadn't planned on going on a run today.
But, have you ever had that experience, where you
pullout a pair of pants you bought 2 years ago and thought
maybe a run today isn't a bad idea after all?
It was raining when I hit the streets.
Rain in PA is totally different
form AZ. It doesn't just pour for 10 minutes
then turn back into a beautiful sun-shiny day.
Nope, the rain hangs around for a while and spreads an
enchanted mist everywhere.

I had only gotten about 200 yards away from the house
when my shoe lace came untied.
So I stopped.
And tied it.
I took less than 10 steps and the same
shoe came untied again!
Hoping this wasn't some
sort of sign, I bent down, tied it again,
and continued running. I figured that was the best
option (seeing how sign seeking only turns out for the worst...
Just take it from Korihor. That didn't turn out too well.)

I was glad I did.
There is something magical about running.

Somehow, everything in your mind,
all the clutter, seems to dissolve
into thin air, and you can only focus on one thing at a time.
I loved to run while Collin and I were dating. There were a million reasons
why I wanted to marry him. But some of the most striking reasons
came in conversation while we ran together,
or in concentrated thought while I ran alone.

On my run today, I thought of so many metaphors
between running and life.

I had a friend who worked with a running coach while training for
a Ragnar Race. This coach told my friend,
"If I runner wants to go faster, he's got to lengthen his stride."
What an interesting parallel this has to life.
If a person wants to go faster, achieve higher, or grow at all
he's got to lengthen his stride.
President Spencer W. Kimball was an expert on this.
Lengthening your stride can be applied to almost anything; school,
job efforts, good health habits, Spiritual growth,
family relationships, relationships in general, kindness,
developing talents, attaining personal goals.
The list is truly endless.

It is my experience, that this is how growth happens.
We work for it.
And we lengthen our stride.